Arabian Adventures

Northern Bird Bev moves to Dubai UAE with her job and her life changes beyond her wildest dreams.....

Monday, May 08, 2006

My First Wheels

When I first arrived in Dubai I hired a car to get from A – B. A car is a must have here as public transport as almost nonexistent. Yes there are busses, but they didn’t go from the Springs where I lived to DIC (Dubai Internet City) where I worked. There are no trains, tubes or trams here at all, and to be honest, I’m not a public transport person anyway. On my 17th birthday, I couldn’t wait to get my licence and the freedom it would bring. If you could see how busses are driven here, you’d understand why any sane person would think twice before using them. It’s not unusual to see them take roundabouts and corners at such speed they’re on two wheels! So I started the hunt for my perfect set of wheels. Large 4X4s are a very popular choice, as the roads are notoriously dangerous, the additional height and protection of a sturdy SUV are very tempting. After a couple of months looking, not in showrooms I hasten to add, but on the roads, I decided I wanted a Jeep Cherokee. It’s a 4X4 and looks more like an off-roader than a people carrier, I thought and still do think they look funky. And that is of course a woman’s primary criteria when car hunting; aesthetic pleasure!

So with the help of my new boyfriend (who worked in the car trade) I went car shopping. This was educational for me; his nibs being in the trade and in sales was more interested in the salesman’s performance than that of the car. Here was me hoping he would translate the car spiel so I could understand! So I find a car, get a great deal (thanks to his nibs) and arrange finance. A few days later and very excited I go to pick up my shiny new car. I’m delighted and love it; his nibs does not! It was not presented in the correct way, and had not been cleaned properly. Let me explain a bit; cars are not manufactured in the UAE, they are all imported mostly on huge container ships. Sea travel and brand new cars don’t really mesh, so the cars are wrapped for their journey. Seats are covered in plastic, the bodywork protected by wrap guard etc. Basically your brand new car needs to be unwrapped, buffed and polished before delivery. Well for most they are unwrapped, some nationalities here like to keep the plastic seat covers; why I’ll never know, you must get an awful sweaty bottom! Anyway, my motor had not been properly unwrapped, buffed and polished! Whilst his nibs chastised the salesman I stood by thinking I don’t care, just give me my bleeding keys, I want to go driving!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home