Arabian Adventures

Northern Bird Bev moves to Dubai UAE with her job and her life changes beyond her wildest dreams.....

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Spoilt Rotten

Most of my friends agree that I’m a down-to-earth kinda gal; I have my working class roots to thank for that. I do however enjoy the finer things in life, well some of them anyway; champagne and caviar are not to my taste. So when his nibs offered to whisk me away for a weekend at a boutique hotel in Oman, I jumped at the chance. The Chedi in Muscat is amazing; very clean lines, very design, very…..well just very! The drive to Muscat takes about 3 hours from Dubai, his nibs drove, I looked after music. We left after work Thursday and crossed the border at Hatta an hour later. Once in Oman we got onto the main highway to its capital city. Unbeknownst to us, it was a national holiday of some kind, and we saw fireworks up ahead. A little closer and the hard-shoulder of the highway was being used by the locals as a car park to stop and watch the display. Now in the UK the most dangerous part of the motorway is the hard-shoulder and you’d only stop there in an emergency – not so here. If you can’t beat em join em, so we pulled over and got out of the car to enjoy the spectacle ourselves. This was when I realised how Oman differs from its neighbour the UAE; we were the only white faces around. 30 minutes later with the display still in full swing, we moved on; we still had over an hour of driving and it was getting late.

We arrived at the Chedi around 930 and checked; much to our delight we were upgraded to a suite, and even though I was starving I had to explore it. We had our own little villa, with a water garden, the most amazing sunken granite bath I’d ever seen and a separate lounge with free booze! I was in heaven being spoilt. The hunger pangs got the better of me and we headed to the restaurant for dinner. We sat outside in the courtyard and ate a lovely meal with a very nice bottle of wine. The hotel looks fantastic at night, with its water gardens and clever lighting, and just as good in daylight. The next morning we headed to the adult pool; they have 2 pools one where kids are allowed and one for us grownups! The adults’ is an infinity pool that overlooks the sea, sun-loungers made for 2, very romantic and a bar to keep your thirst quenched. I have never felt so relaxed in my life, the only downside, we had just 2 nights there. Now the pressure’s on, this was our first weekend away; how’s he gonna top this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home