Arabian Adventures

Northern Bird Bev moves to Dubai UAE with her job and her life changes beyond her wildest dreams.....

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Expat parties, Abu Dhabi and other explorations

Keen to keep my dad happy, we drove the hour or so to Abu Dhabi. Abu Dhabi the largest and capitol of the Emirates, is a great city. No where near as brash or flash as its more famous neighbour it has a class sadly lacking in Dubai. We headed to the recently opened Emirates Palace Hotel for lunch. For someone who lives in Dubai home to more 5 star hotels than anywhere else I’m not easily impressed, but this was truly an imposing hotel. Not quite my cup of tea, it’s a bit impersonal and has much wasted space in my opinion, that said lunch was lovely. After eating we headed to a shopping mall because heaven knows there are not enough of them in Dubai!! After a quick look-see, we left and walked along the corniche. Now this is what is really missing in Dubai, a short distance from the city centre the wonderfully engineered Abu Dhabi Corniche runs for 8km along the island’s mangrove-fringed and white sandy shores. We strolled passed fountains, roller-bladers and families enjoying the winter sun, at the other end we stopped for a cold beer at the Sheraton hotel. The leisurely stroll had taken almost two hours and as we still had to drive back to Dubai we took a cab back to the car. This is another great thing about Abu - the cabs, there are hundreds of them and almost without exception the drivers are a friendly bunch. Ours was particularly friendly and proceeded to give my dad and his nibs advice on looking after their women, he was a riot and a really nice guy, of course he was tipped accordingly. We headed back home and later when I asked mum if dad had enjoyed his holiday (my dad is the most stoic man you could ever meet) he said his favourite day was in Abu and the walk along the Corniche.


Mum and Dad at Emirates Palace Hotel, and views of the Corniche





















Another great day out if you’re ever in Dubai is Hatta Pools. The pools are actually in Oman but you’d never know as there’s no border crossing, about 15 kilometres from the town of Hatta it’s a wadi though at one point the wadi becomes a gorge, with a 2-metre-high waterfall tumbling into a deep pool. A big draw for locals it’s a really beautiful place to visit, though in the winter months you must be careful were you picnic. We’d packed a cool box full of goodies and headed there for the day, the weather was perfect and we had great fun exploring. Dad of course tried to assist mother nature in her eroding of the mountains by throwing stones to cause landslides, fortunately he failed and we left the place pretty much as we found it.

Us exploring Hatta Pools......





















His nibs good mate Steve was having a party at home, the blokes were invited to play pool on his table and the ladies were to be pampered by a couple of manicurists. I desperately wanted to play pool, but had to (at least) start the night with the girls. As I’ve said my dad is stoic, it takes a bit of effort to get to know him, so I was a bit concerned that he’d feel out of place with a bunch of expat blokes knowing only his (soon to be) son-in-law, and he didn’t really know his nibs that well really. However it didn’t take much for dad to get to know his new buddies, just a six pack or two! As the pool upstairs became more boisterous, the manicuring downstairs became more boring for me anyway (I’m too much of a lad at times!) mum was however enjoying her first manicure so I headed upstairs paid my money and joined the pool game! Fortunately whilst not a very good pool player I can just about hold my own and in the killer version we were playing was not the first to be eliminated; man was I pleased! Eventually we had to leave and dad happily shook hands with all his new mates whilst planning the next boys night out, meanwhile mum and I flagged down a cab to take us home.

To reciprocate for Steve and his wife Theresa’s hospitality we’d invited them over for a traditional Sunday lunch. Now I’m sure many of you will disagree with me here but my mum does the best Sunday lunch on the planet, as you know I need to learn a few more kitchen skills so with mum supervising I cooked a roast beef dinner. With the exception of the Yorkshire puddings it was a resounding success and thoroughly enjoyed by all. After feeding we headed out to the patio to enjoy a balmy January evening in the Middle East. Steve and Theresa stayed till the wee small hours, only leaving when we’d run out of whisky and beer! Now that’s the sign of a great night! It was also unfortunately the end of my parents stay but on that high note they headed back to a dull and dark January in Blighty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home