Arabian Adventures

Northern Bird Bev moves to Dubai UAE with her job and her life changes beyond her wildest dreams.....

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Scary Moments

Now many of you reading this may think the subject matter is inappropriate, but this blog is about my time living in Dubai, the good and the bad. So I’m publishing it! In February of 2005 I went for my regular smear test, and as had occurred every time before I expected a normal result; unfortunately that was not the case. When my gynaecologist called me and started talking in letters, C I N H P V, the only thing I understood was there’s a problem and I immediately thought the worst; oh shit I’ve got cancer!!!! She was smart enough to know that these things are best discussed face to face and told me come in and see her. This could not have come at worse time as my folks were here. Like most mums mine has a tendency to worry about her kids, it matters not that I’m 30 odd, had a successful career, owned my home etc. I’m still her first born baby! Because I live so far away it makes any health issue worse, so I was keen to keep this from her. No chance; the woman has psychic powers when it comes to these kind of things! Anyway after they’d left I visited the doc.

There she explained that I was CIN3, that’s the worst level, that I DID NOT have cancer but had pre-cancerous cells, and if left unchecked could (not definitely would) cause cervical cancer. She also explained that I had HPV and whilst she tried to explain all these things in detail I was dumbstruck, asked no questions and didn’t really take anything in. The treatment would be laser therapy and I needed to get my kit off and lie on the bed; she was doing it here and then! I nearly fell of my chair; having grown up in the UK with our NHS, I expected to be referred and wait a month (if I was lucky) for treatment. Not so in the world of private healthcare. I was also concerned that I’d gone to see her alone; I didn’t have anyone with me to hold my hand or drive me home. “It’s not that painful” she said “you’ll be fine, just lie down when you get home and take lots of Brufen”. So she lasered my cervix on the spot, so to speak! It bloody well did hurt, though not what I expected; it caused cramp like pains not the burning sensation I thought. Treatment done, appointment made for a months time, and on shaky legs I went home. His nibs was a star, came over to mine with flowers and lots of TLC.

Only after the treatment did I start to question what I’d had done, what was wrong and what the hell was HPV. Thank goodness for those clever bunnies who invented the internet. I spent hours pouring over various websites to learn more. The most informative site I found was http://www.cancerbackup.org/ they were a mine of information. I learnt that HPV is a group of more than 70 viruses, and some are classed as high risk, when it comes to cervical cancer anyway. Wouldn’t you just know it, I had the high risk HPV 18. Anyway, a month later I go back for a check up; “all looks well” doc says and I arrange another smear for 3 months.

As ordered I go back, have my smear and wait for the all clear. Again I was to be disappointed. I was still at CIN3 and more worrying the HPV had not gone; there is no cure for HPV your own immune system is the only thing that can fight it. Mine obviously was not, so more drastic treatment was required. All this I kept from my parents, I admit to telling the little white lie that my test was clear, for all the right reasons though. Mum would have freaked had she known I was going to hospital for a cone biopsy, a large loop excision of the transformation zone (LLETZ) and dilation and curettage (D&C). I would need to spend the day in hospital as all this would be carried out under a general anaesthetic. The date was set for June 19th, fathers’ day in Blighty.

On the day his nibs takes me to the American hospital, where I was placed in a very plush private room and given a pill to relax me. The nursing staff were so nice; to Alain as well as me, as he was waiting at the hospital the nurse said “just dial for room service if want something to eat”, none for me though I was about to have a general anaesthetic! It was more like a hotel than a hospital. Off I go to the OR and wake a couple of hours later back in my bed feeling very sleepy. Once the pain kicked in I was allowed drugs and once I could stand and…. ahem, go to the loo, was allowed home. Again his nibs was my knight in shining armour and looked after me at home for a couple of days. Only after the surgery was completed did I call Blighty to wish dad happy fathers day and spill the beans; they were not impressed! The whole episode was without being too dramatic very scary, and if one person who reads this makes sure their or their wives, lovers, sisters, smear test is up to date it’s worth posting! Oh yeah…my last smear was clear, thank you for asking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home